It’s been a week since my last post and this is the Part 2 of how I made that dress. And continuing the previous post, here, I will tell you the sewing process. For those who found this post by random and having no idea what I’m talking about, all I can say is; That girl is Galih, she is wearing a dress that I designed and made (together with 2 other dresses) as her costume in a dance theater performance called ‘Rojo/Merah’ by AKAR Dance Theater Company. Here’s some pictures of Galih wearing the dress on the stage.
You may check my previous post here, where you can find a complete background story about this project and also a the instructions of Galih’s dress pattern making.
In the previous post, I have mentioned that I made two versions of each dresses, first one for me and the second one for the performer. For this dress, I’ve documented the process of the first version, which made for me. And this is the result;
That is why I can only share a tutorial based on my dress. Don’t worry… It has only a few non-principal differences with Galih’s dress. They are explained in a picture below;
- Well this is a fabric problem. Galih’s dress using stretchy lace fabrics that has scallops edge and mine using a stretchy lace fabric without scallops. I’ll explain how I finished my edges in the ‘step by step’ part.
- My dress having a regular bottom hem, while Galih’s dress has 2 side slits. If you want those slits you can use the same slits process from this tunic dress by Corrine’s Thread, just make sure that you pick the straight stretch stitch on your sewing machine.
- One of the director’s revision from the original designs was a request to reduce the lace part from Galih’s dress. So, at the end, the lace parts was only applied to a small piece from the chest to shoulder (for the front side) and from waist to shoulder (for the back side). Considering the ombre knit fabric for the base color, I thought that was a good decision.
Ok. Let’s moving on to the sewing tutorial.