Remember this look from last week post?
So, I have worn my DIY Kaftan together with a DIY Clutch (or hand-) bag. And that is what I’m going to share, this week.
This is another thing that I did with my mom in law’s scrap brocades. I found one in a bright pink color and I thought that will be a perfect combination with my kaftan. Than I made a simple hand bag out of that pink brocade.
Together with some basic sewing tools, I have used a short list of materials;
1) A sheet of 40cm x 40cm Pink Scrap Lace
2) A sheet of 40cm x 40cm black cotton fabrics (as a base)
3) A zipper (7-8inches length)
4) 4 sheets of black cotton fabrics with the length that should be the zipper length + ½ inch for seam allowance and width around 3inches.
5) 2 sheets of fusible web adhesive (you can either use the 1 side or two sides adhesive). I cutted the fusible web with the same material number (4) measurement but without seam allowances.
I ironed a sheet of fusible web between 2 sheets of black fabrics, I made sure it centre placed. I did the same once again. Than I got a twin of ‘zipper part’.
I pinned and sewed the zipper on the long edges, connected the twin.
I folded the zipper part, right side together, pinned the wide edges together and sewed.
I got this look when I reversed the zipper part.
Than I left the zipper part and start to making the bag part. I placed the square of brocade on the square of black fabric than I folded them once, right side together. I pinned them together, drew a stitch line and sewed.
I reversed the bag part and now I have the bag and zipper part like so…
Using some pins, I continued with make some ruffles on the top of the bag part. Those ruffles should be ended in the same width with the zipper part.
I reversed the zipper part, than I pinned the ruffles to the zipper part, right side of the bag facing the right side of the zipper part.
And finally, I sewed them together and I got a clutch bag when I reversed the zipper part again.
Et voila! Yeayyyy … I was so excited to got something to be hold on my brother in law’s wedding.
And… I am pretty sure that I will hold it even when I wear jeans or short pants. Don’t you think so?
See you next week!